Friday, February 11, 2011

Assignment 3: Learning and Cognitive Styles

                Upon completion of the learning style inventory, I learned that I am a visual learner.  That came as no surprise; I have always been a “show me, don’t tell me” type of person.  I took this test at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/LSI/LSI.htm.  My results suggested that to study I should use note cards; write out everything for a quick review; look at all study materials, including charts, graphs, diagrams, and maps; and to picture words and concepts in my head.  Luckily, that is how I study anyway, so it would appear that these results are quite accurate.  However, I think that I am a fairly even blend of a visual learner and a tactile learner.  The main study tip for a tactile learner is to write facts that must be learned over and over.  This is one of my favorite ways to study because I know without a doubt that I will learn the information this way.  Another reason why I think I am equally a tactile learner is that I love to create things with my hands.  I love to draw, paint, take photographs, knit, play guitar, anything involving creating.  So while I think the results are accurate, in a sense they are not because I think that I am as equally a tactile learner as I am a visual learner.
            The results from the cognitive style test reported that I am an INFJ.  The letters stand for introverted, intuitive, feeling, and judging.  The link I used to take this test was http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html, which was the link given on every university website that I came across.  The descriptions of the different types can be found here:  http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory2.html.  The INFJ type was described as “determined, perseverant, inspired and often see things just around the corner, into the near or far future.”  INFJ’s see things in the big picture; they are able to see things in seemingly unrelated fields and piece them together to provide meaning.  I would say that these results are extremely accurate.  I am a profoundly determined person, and I persevere until I reach my goals.  I also think that I am able to see the big picture, and I am constantly thinking about the future and how my decisions now are going to impact me in the long run.
            These results can greatly help me in the classroom, as a teacher as well as a learner.  As a learner, I will now be able to study more effectively and know what to pay attention to during lectures and classes.  As a teacher, I think that knowing about the different learning styles can help me better prepare my lessons to cater to all three types of learning styles.  This way, all the students can hopefully gain the same understanding and knowledge of the material.  Knowing my cognitive style is beneficial as a learner because I can use my ability to piece things together to see the big picture to create deeper understanding for myself as well as creating more in-depth assignments and projects.  As a teacher, this is beneficial because I can see my classroom as a whole, but also see each individual’s strengths and weaknesses.  Therefore I will be able to create a better learning environment and invent lesson plans that better suit the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment